Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Detour.



detour - noun


1.
a roundabout or circuitous way or course, especially one used temporarily when the main route is closed.
2.
an indirect or roundabout procedure, path, etc.



In my prayer time today, I heard the Lord say this to me.....

"It's not closed off forever. Right now, you're on a detour." 

Sometimes the way you thought it would look - well, it doesn't. You set out on a journey, excited, optimistic, and a little anxious because there are so many unknowns.  But ready to jump in.

Well, as for me - one who enjoys the predictable and the safe - and one who stays in the shallow end of the water and closes her eyes on roller coaster rides - I didn't feel this way at the start of our journey.  That's not my natural way.

I loved my new husband. I was excited for our little girl to arrive. But I craved safe and comfortable - I wanted to be taken care of - I realize the root of my father not doing these things caused my heart to lack in this area...and I was trying to grow through those things. I loved being a stay at home mom. I loved doing youth ministry.  Amazingly- when God pressed our hearts to pursue ministry full time, meaning Kevin would quit his job and work for the church, my worries just washed away. I jumped in head first, eyes wide open.  A little nervous, but unafraid. 

I chose trust.  It was a miracle in my little life.  And it changed me.

Fast forward to 2016. A year ago, when all of my hopes were shattered.  I had just started going back to school and had to walk away. Ministry closed it's doors to us.  We were discarded.  And we moved to a tiny little town with tear stained pillows and busted dreams.  

We just wanted to be safe.  We still loved God.  And we still trusted Him. But we were hurt deeply, our children were broken hearted and our marriage was in pieces. 

We had all but given up on ever pastoring or serving in ministry again.  We felt like God might just be done with us.  That we had failed Him, and He was ashamed. That we were just too messy. 

Hurt will do that to you.  Shake you and cause you to doubt.

It's an easy trap to fall into. 

But after a long road, healing has come.  Wounds are being mended.  Hearts have begun to believe again.  To dream again. Miracles have happened in our family.  Restoration has come, and He isn't done yet.  

What if God wants to use broken people with imperfect lives to reach his people? To spread hope? What if He isn't mad at me, or you? What if he wants to give back what was lost or stolen, and use the story for His redemption?   He does.

If you are believing for a miracle - don't stop.  If things don't appear to you the way you hoped - keep praying.  Don't give up.

Sometimes you have to take the detour to reach the destination.  While the main road is being repaired - and being made better than it was before. 
Wider, stronger, longer.

Delay is not denial.  It's not the end.  It may just be a new beginning.

<3 Christa 




2 comments:

  1. That was so good, I want to lay on the ground and roll on the floor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Christa! Really touched my heart ❤️

    ReplyDelete